Thursday, October 21, 2010

My Gosh...I'm REALLY Doing This!!!

Hello World!

So it hadn't hit me until just now, I really, REALLY am competing in Miss Oklahoma USA 2011! I am absolutely brimming with excitement tonight, at my favorite wi-fi hotspot, Starbucks.  I can't keep still, if I try to my foot starts tapping inadvertently, LOL! They have some pretty catchy tunes to boot, currently a jazzy version of "Hey Senora" with maracas.  I remember hearing that song for the first time at the end of Beetlejuice when I was younger, and it used to make me uneasy because the movie scared me so much! I love it now though ;)

So as you all know, I have been having some evening gown woes! Luckily, I had a VERY productive day in that department... Upon my venture to the adorable dress boutique, Southern Charm, I met a wonderful woman who is clearly beautiful inside AND out, Anita Gately! We hit it off right away, I ended up staying at the boutique for 3 hours (!!!) trying on dresses, flipping through catalogs, giving my opinion to the very sweet Miss Oklahoma City Teen USA (see you in November!) and chatting up a STORM with Anita! I can't wait to go back down next week and work with Anita and Warren too! Anita just makes you feel so welcome and is fantastic at helping you find gowns you feel absolutely beautiful in! (I actually went to Southern Charm right after a workout, so if I feel good in a gown looking like I do after an hour of cardio, I know that it is a good one!) Thank you Anita, see you soon!

Okay to the before and after part I promise. Whoooo, deep breath, this is pretty emotional for me! If you have read my original post, my platform is based on the immensely positive impact a commitment to a healthy lifestyle, through proper nutrition and physical fitness, can have on ANY INDIVIDUAL's life! I speak from experience, having always been an athlete but NEVER happy with or proud of my body and then committing to train for Darrell Terrell's Hot Bod Fitness Modeling Contest in conjunction with the NPC Total Package Bodybuilding Show and losing 30 lbs in 5 months.  You know the story, or can guess, this drastic physical and, equally important, mental makeover has opened so many doors for me and allowed me the opportunity to compete for the title of Miss Oklahoma USA 2011.  With this prestigious title, I will work my tail off to share my experience and knowledge in hopes to inspire others to take the steps necessary to get on the path to their own healthier, happier lives! Even now, I am doing my best to reach as many people as I can with this POSITIVE message, but I hope and pray God wills me to become the next Miss Oklahoma USA so that I may reach so many others.

Recently, I interviewed for a prospective feature in a "Before and After:  Amazing Transitions" magazine article.  Part of the process was to dive into my dusty photo box and retrieve some before and after pictures that the publication might use.  I had no idea how emotional this would be.  All of my before pictures were from a time that I thought so poorly of myself and did not even know it! I had NEVER understood what it meant to have true, positive self-esteem until I took it upon myself to be the best ME, physically and mentally, I could be.  I honestly believe this is a consummate process, there is always ways to improve, new things to learn! The standby mantra "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is soooo FALSE!!! I have literally proven this to myself though didn't adapt it to my own life until this year.  I taught my sweet chocolate lab, Shima Lady Mocha, to bark to "Who Let the Dogs Out!" Kids Bop Version when she was 11 years old, (that is 77 in dog years!)

So here they are folks, my submitted, emotion-bringing pictures, all of which have been taken within the last three years, most within the last year, but real quick, some disclaimers!

***There is no, I repeat, NOOOO ideal beauty! Everyone should "Be their OWN kind of beautiful!" (Thanks Tiffiney and Dana!) I finally made a commitment to a healthy lifestyle change and worked my TAIL off for 5 months to change the way I looked and felt about myself because I was UNHAPPY before! I am so, SO thankful God gave me the strength and courage to make this change! Through Him, all things are possible and I have never been so happy, or lived so happily and GRATEFULLY in my life!!!

***They were sad but mostly HAPPY tears last night.  Sad because it joltingly reminded me of a time that I did not think I was beautiful and thought others didn't either, happy because I worked so hard the RIGHT and HEALTHY way to change that!!!

***NEVER HAVE I EVER had any work done! Hahahahaha! That is laughable to me or that people spread those silly rumors, not even about myself but others!!! I am struggling to paying for the pageant with the help of sponsorships, you honestly think I could afford a nose job or lipo?!?!? Come on now people...

***Photo credits: (afters of course, I never had the self-esteem to allow folks to take my picture before I made my transition,) go to Josh Hamon, Leland Tucker (Leland Images,) John Hazelton (Sooner JH,) Andrew Vargo, Doug Jantz,  and John Fullingm.

***You may notice, there are a ton

***THANK YOU, THANK YOU (!!!) for taking the time to look/help! xoxo



Before: October 2008, After: September 2010

Before: April 2007, After: September 2010

Before: June 2006, After: October 2010

Before: February 2008, After: October 2010

Before: March 2008, After: September 2010

Before: February 2008, After: August 2010

Before: April 2006, After: June 2010

Before: September 2008, After: September 2010
(This one is crazy to me, I honestly do not recognize myself!)

Before: February 2008, After: October 2010

And my personal favorite (because my fit, BEAUTIFUL Mommy is in it!)...
Before: January 2010 (seriously!), After: September 2010

Please tell me your favorites! Whether it be on this site, Facebook, email, shoot if you have my # text it, I truly value your opinions!!! Thank you!

To close I would like to thank the newest members of the Miss Greater Oklahoma City USA 2011 Sponsor team!!!

J.E. Cope of JEC PRO

Monte Turrentine (Individual Contributor)

Jeff Powell of Bob Moore Cadillac

My computer is dying and I think Starbucks is closing soon, so a little more about these wonderful individuals and businesses, who are helping me chase my dreams, in the next post.

Before today, it has been a tough week on the sponsor front so I will leave you all with this sweet little ditty:

When the world says, "Give up..."
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time!" 
-Author Unknown

Hope, keep whispering!!!

xoxo

Britt









No comments:

Post a Comment